MANHATTAN District Attorney Cy Vance dropped the felony charge against a Black Lives Matter leader whose home was surrounded by the NYPD for hours on Friday.
Vance personally ordered the prosecutors to reduce the felony charge against Derrick Ingram, 28, to a misdemeanor assault, the New York Post reported.
Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance ordered prosecutors drop the felony second-degree assault charge against Derrick Ingram[/caption]
Ingram turned himself in to the NYPD on Saturday morning after cops charged him with second-degree assault stemming from a June 14 incident.
NYPD spokesperson Sergeant Jessica McRorieMcRorie said Ingram struggled with a cop who tried to stop him from crossing a police barrier.
He is accused of putting the loud bullhorn against the cop’s ear, and screaming into it during a protest, causing hearing damage.
On Friday, the NYPD tried arresting Ingram at his home in the Manhattan neighborhood of Hell’s Kitchen.
Ingram, 28, streamed his standoff with the NYPD on Friday morning[/caption]
Outside of his apartment around 7am, police officers banged on his door with K-9s at their side, as a police helicopter flew overhead.
Per reports, the street was closed down by two dozen police vehicles, and some officers were dressed in riot gear.
Ingram told cops he wouldn’t let them in without a warrant[/caption]
Ingram refused to let any cops into his apartment without a warrant — and he streamed the encounter live on Instagram as it unfolded.
This prompted around 100 supporters to gather around his apartment building.
They chanted at cops: “Where’s your warrant?”
During his stream, Ingram questioned: “What did I do? What did I do?”
“I was born black, that’s what I did.”
“They’re going to mindf**k me, deprive me of food and sleep. I’m staying my black a** at home,” Ingram said, according to the Gothamist.
Ingram and his supporters marched to the North Precinct in Midtown where he turned himself in [/caption]
In Ingram’s stream, a cop could be heard saying: “Why don’t you be the warrior you state you are and come out and face the system?”
The New York Times reported the standoff went on for around six hours on Friday as Ingram spoke with his lawyers through Zoom.
Around 1pm, cops left the scene — prompting outcry from police union heads — after NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea reportedly told them to back down.
Ingram, alongside supporters and his lawyer, walked to the North Precinct in Midtown Manhattan on Saturday morning to turn himself in for a second-degree assault charge.
Ingram was said to be released from police custody on Saturday night on no bail[/caption]
But Vance, a law enforcement source told the Post, “lowered the charge because he is afraid of the protesters.”
Instead of facing seven years in prison for felony assault, Ingram now faces little to no jail time if he’s convicted of the misdemeanor charge.
The 28-year-old was released from police custody on no bail on Saturday night, per the Post.
During Ingram’s march to the police precinct earlier in the day, he told his supporters: “I’m highly traumatized from everything from the drones, to the dogs, to the lies that have been told by the NYPD.
“I’m ready to make a change. I think we should focus our efforts on getting Commissioner Shea out of office. I think we need to focus on addressing the lawlessness of the NYPD, ending qualified immunity, and creating equity within this city.”
Ingram co-founded Warriors in the Garden, a group that was created following the death of George Floyd and helps organize peaceful protests across the city.
Following Friday’s events, the group accused police of “threats and intimidation tactics” to rattle Ingram, who they said has “no criminal history.”
“This was an attempt to silence our movement. This militarized police response endangers the safety of residents in Hell’s Kitchen and across NYC,” the group said.
Ingram and his supporters are seen here on Saturday [/caption]
Mayor Bill de Blasio’s office didn’t say whether the mayor agreed with the NYPD’s actions.
De Blasio, however, said in a statement to the Gothamist: “Commissioner Shea made the right decision to call off the operation.
“Assaulting an officer is unacceptable and will always lead to consequences, but arrests must be made properly.”
Most read in US News
Police Benevolent Association President Pat Lynch said in a statement, per the Post: “The NYPD’s top brass better start talking: Who really issued the order to retreat?
“Who put police officers in the dangerous position of backing down in the face of an angry mob?”
Detectives’ Endowment Association President Paul DiGiacomo added: “By walking away from arresting a man who was wanted for previously assaulting a cop and backing down to an angry mob, the lives of detectives and their fellow cops were endangered and their valuable time was wasted.”