blog - transfer talk Douglas Costa to join Wolves in another Jorge Mendes-brokered...

Douglas Costa to join Wolves in another Jorge Mendes-brokered deal

-

- Advertisment -

The coronavirus pandemic has made the transfer market uncertain — you can find out when the windows close here — but here are the rumours floating around Europe’s big leagues and beyond. Plus, check out all the latest major completed transfers across Europe.

TOP STORY: Wolves to move for Juve winger Costa

Tuttosport has suggested that Jorge Mendes is about to, once again, work his magic for Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The Italian outlet reports that the super-agent might be facilitating a move to Molineux for winger Douglas Costa, who looks destined to leave Juventus.

Juve boss Andrea Pirlo has reportedly told the Brazil international that he is not part of his plans this season, meaning he will be allowed to leave, with the Italian giants looking to freshen up their options on the wings.

This move will be a boost for Wolves, especially after Diogo Jota left to join Premier League champions Liverpool for £41m last week.

LIVE BLOG

13.19 BST: Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho has said he expects Dele Alli to stay at the club but challenged the England international to overcome a “lack of consistency.”

The 24-year-old has been included in the squad that will travel to Macedonia for Spurs’ Europa League third qualifying round tie against Shkendija on Thursday despite reports linking him with a move to Paris Saint-Germain.

“For me, it was not different than before,” Mourinho said. “He had moments where he was so good and he also had moments where he was not so good and I think this lack of consistency when it happens in a player, the normal situation when you have other good players for similar positions, it is normal that when you are in great form, you play because you deserve, because your production is big for the team.

“When you are not in a good moment, you don’t play, It is as simple as that. Players they have to prove on the pitch with their performances, they have to prove how good they are in that specific moment.

“Tomorrow he is selected, no decision yet whether starting or being on the bench. If he is on the pitch one minute or 90 minutes, he has to show us. That’s simple.”

12.45 BST: ICYMI – Luis Suarez‘s move to Atletico Madrid is back on after the striker’s legal team reached an agreement in principle to terminate his contract with Barcelona, sources have told ESPN.

Spanish football expert Graham Hunter gives this thoughts on the move here…

From a neutral standpoint, it would be absolutely thrilling if Luis Suarez joined Atletico Madrid. From an Atleti point of view, it might — just might — be sufficient to give them the natural, instinctive goal threat they’ve been missing for years. From La Liga’s vista, retaining a world-class superstar and legendary talent — rather than seeing him join Ever Banega, Santi Cazorla, Aritz Aduriz and Sergio Reguilon in disappearing from Spain’s fields of play — is gold dust.

From the Barcelona side of things, the whole idea is a small-visioned, deeply flawed, personality-based error of pretty huge proportions. Some may disagree, but I think it’s blatantly obvious.

12.18 BST: Gareth Bale‘s agent has lashed out at Real Madrid for not appreciating the Wales international’s accomplishments at the club before he returned to Tottenham on loan.

“This country, Great Britain, should be very proud of him and stop knocking him and write what he’s done and what he’s achieved,” Jonathan Barnett told talkSPORT. “And it’s very annoying, and it’s the same with Real Madrid, what he’s achieved for them, they should be kissing the floor that he walks on.”

Bale, 31, won the Champions League four times, two La Liga titles and three FIFA Club World Cups, as well as other trophies; and scored 105 goals in 251 games. He was frozen out and started in just 14 games last season for Madrid amid reports of a difficult relationship with coach Zinedine Zidane and the club fans.

“For somebody that has achieved what he has achieved for the club in seven years, he should have been treated better,” Barnett told the BBC. “I think what the fans did was disgraceful and the club didn’t help. He could have been treated better and I’m very upset that he wasn’t.”

12.05 BST: Manchester United’s transfer strategy has come under fire.

play

1:39

Craig Burley lays into Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ed Woodward for their lack of transfer activity.

11.46 BST: Bild reports that Santiago Arias is having a medical at Bayer Leverkusen ahead of a loan move from Atletico Madrid.

Arias, 28, had been linked with Everton but is now set to head to the Bundesliga. Leverkusen will have a reported €10m obligation to buy next summer and the right-back has agreed a contract until 2025.

11.29 BST: Dele Alli‘s future at Tottenham is up in the air after the midfielder was left out of the squad for games against Lokomotiv Plovdiv and Southampton.

And the Daily Telegraph says that “Paris Saint-Germain believe that Alli wants to join them on a season-long loan deal.”

The 24-year-old’s contract expires in 2024 so Spurs have no need to take a cheap deal, but are reportedly keen to let the England international move on loan to get more game time after the arrival of Gareth Bale from Real Madrid.

Alli scored eight goals in 25 Premier League games as Spurs finished sixth last season, and Inter Milan are also reported to be monitoring him.

11.11 BST: The Guardian says that Roma “are expected to submit a second bid” for Manchester United centre-back Chris Smalling this week.

Chris Smalling, 30, impressed on loan at Roma last season and has no future at United. Roma’s first offer of £11m was rejected by United, but another of at least £18m could be accepted.

10.48 BST: Manchester United have been linked with a move for Porto defender Alex Telles, but now The Sun claims they have a backup target.

Ajax’s Nicolas Tagliafico is the man they could reportedly sign, as he’s available for around €25m, while Telles would cost €40m despite being in the final year of his contract.

United are chasing a left-back to provide competition for Luke Shaw, but their primary desire is to sign a winger: namely, Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho.

10.17 BST: Would Ajax’s Sergino Dest be the perfect signing for Barcelona?

play

0:59

Julien Laurens reacts to Barcelona seemingly beating Bayern Munich to Sergino Dest’s signature.

There have also been reports, from SPORT, that Norwich City’s 20-year-old full-back Max Aarons has agreed a five-year contract at Camp Nou.

10.00 BST: Wolves have confirmed the signing of right-back Nelson Semedo from Barcelona for a fee of €30m, plus another €10m in add-ons.

Semedo, 26, joins the Premier League club after spending three years in Catalonia following a move from Benfica.

09.50 BST: Arsenal have made Lyon midfielder Houssem Aouar their top target this summer, as reported by ESPN earlier last month, but the Daily Telegraph says that “a Champions League club” will rival them for the Frenchman.

Arsenal’s sporting director, Edu, has already called his Brazilian compatriot Juninho to enquire about Aouar, and mentioned midfielder Matteo Guendouzi as part of a potential swap deal, plus cash. Sources have told ESPN the meeting did not include details about a fee, though Lyon and Arsenal are due to talk more for a player valued around €50m.

The Athletic says the Gunners are considering sending Reiss Nelson out on loan this season in a bid to get the winger more playing time.

09.23 BST: SPORT have linked Barcelona defender Jean-Clair Todibo with an €18m (plus €5m in add-ons) move to Fulham.

Todibo, 20, signed for Barca last summer when his contract at Toulouse expired. He was sent on loan to Schalke last season but evidently isn’t in the plans of new Barcelona Ronald Koeman, and will be allowed to leave.

09.02 BST: Luis Suarez‘s move to Atletico Madrid is back on after the striker’s legal team reached an agreement in principle to terminate his contract with Barcelona , sources told ESPN’s Sam Marsden and Moises Llorens.

A new deal had to be struck after Barca backpedalled on the original agreement made on Monday when it emerged Suarez was close to signing for Atletico.

The original terms would have allowed Suarez to leave for free in exchange for the Uruguay international giving up a percentage of the final year of his contracted salary at Camp Nou. In addition, he would not have been allowed to join certain clubs stipulated in the agreement.

Atletico did not feature among those clubs he could join, leading Barca to backtrack when it emerged their third-highest scorer of all time could potentially join a La Liga title rival for nothing.

Suarez, 33, was furious and sources told ESPN he was prepared to speak out on the issue, but that will not be necessary following further developments on Tuesday.

play

1:18

ESPN FC’s Julien Laurens and Gab Marcotti react to Luis Suarez closing in on a move to Atletico Madrid.

08.25 BST: Frank Lampard has admitted Callum Hudson-Odoi could leave Chelsea before the transfer window closes next month.

The 19-year-old will make his first start of the season on Wednesday night as the Blues host Barnsley in their EFL Cup third-round clash at Stamford Bridge (stream live on ESPN+ at 2:45 p.m. ET in U.S.) amid mounting speculation over his future.

Asked directly whether Hudson Odoi and Antonio Rudiger would stay at the club beyond the Oct. 5 deadline, Lampard said: “I’m going to skirt around that question. It remains to be seen.

“We’re not in a period where the transfer window or market is acting like it has done in recent years in terms of how players move or what level they move at. The competitive games have just started. I’m very open to those conversations with the players as the next couple of weeks go on.

“My priority will always be making sure I maintain and keep the strongest squad I can for this club, but after that, of course, the individual conversations will happen within that. I will try and make sure I go into the season once the window shuts with the squad that I feel is healthy and competitive in a healthy way.

“At the moment we have Christian Pulisic injured, Hakim Ziyech injured. We played Timo Werner out wide the other day, but the absolute natural winger who is fit at the minute is Callum.”

08.00 BST: Juventus have completed a loan deal to sign Alvaro Morata from Atletico Madrid, the club announced on Tuesday. Morata, 27, landed in Turin on Monday to finalise his move to re-join the Italian champions.

The agreement gives Juventus the right to definitively acquire Morata by the end of the 2020-2021 season for a transfer fee of €45m, which would be payable over three years. Juventus also have the right to extend the acquisition on a temporary basis until the end of the 2021-2022 season for a fee of €10m.

The striker enjoyed a successful loan spell at Juve during 2014-2016 where he scored 27 goals, including a strike in the 2015 Champions League final against Barcelona.

The Spain international won two Serie A titles and two Coppa Italia trophies in his two-year stint at the club.

play

1:09

ESPN FC’s Gab Marcotti explains how Juventus will deploy striker Alvaro Morata.

PAPER TALK (by Danny Lewis)

Barcelona lead the way to sign Dest

Hot on the heels of ESPN’s confirmation that Barcelona were swooping in late on Bayern Munich’s pursuit of Ajax’s Sergino Dest, Esport 3 now says the Catalans are in pole position to sign the USMNT right-back.

It is suggested that Barca are willing to pay €20m, with a further €5m being offered in add-ons.

Bayern have been heavily linked with Dest, but now Ronald Koeman’s side have moved ahead in the race to sign him, despite Bayern raising their previous offer.

If the move comes to fruition, it will see the 19-year-old defender replace Nelson Semedo, who is set to join Wolves.

Fulham and Newcastle join Milik race

Napoli striker Arkadiusz Milik has been linked with some big names throughout this transfer window, including Tottenham Hotspur and Roma.

However, Gazzetta dello Sport has suggested that Fulham and Newcastle United are also entering the race to sign the 26-year-old.

Napoli owner Aurelio De Laurentiis is said to be frustrated with both Milik and Roma due to the nature of their negotiations so far.

His current valuation of the Poland international is €25m, though that will reportedly need to be lowered if Fulham and Newcastle are able to meet Milik’s wage demands.

Tap-ins

– Inter Milan are willing to let Radja Nainggolan rejoin Cagliari now that Arturo Vidal has signed from Barcelona, reports Calciomercato. Antonio Conte was desperate for the Chile international to join his ranks and, now that has happened, Nainggolan will be allowed to go back to Cagliari on loan again.

– Leeds United are closing in on a move for Real Sociedad centre-back Diego Llorente, reports the Athletic. It is suggested he will be making a £20m move to join Marcelo Bielsa’s side, after the club missed out on other options. This will make him the second centre-back they have signed this window, after Robin Koch joined from Freiburg.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Q&A about dead suspects in California mass shooting | Latest News

WHAT PROMPTED THE GUNFIRE?Police do not have a motive for the shootings, which ended with a gun battle...

Madcap James Bond ideas that didn’t make the cut — from 007 dressing as Jesus to a David Bowie villain – Bukipress

JAMES BOND is famed for squeezing out of tight spots in pretty miraculous ways. But an eccentric idea by film...

We need to end lockdown quickly & there can be no turning back this time – Bukipress

BORIS Johnson stands on the cusp of another critical moment in his epic battle with Covid. Last April, of course,...

Kelly vs Avanesyan LIVE RESULTS: Stream, TV channel, undercard for big night of boxing at Wembley Arena – latest updates – Bukipress

JOSH KELLY faces the biggest night of his career this evening as he fights David Avanesyan for the European...
- Advertisement -

Liverpool eye Lucas Ocampos transfer but £56m release fee for Sevilla winger could be potential stumbling block – Bukipress

LIVERPOOL are reportedly interested in signing Sevilla winger Lucas Ocampos this summer. But the 26-year-old’s £56m release fee could scupper...

Ant & Dec name Saturday Night Takeaway’s angriest prank victims saying Gordon Ramsay still sends ‘chilling’ texts – Bukipress

ANT McPartlin and Dec Donnelly have revealed the stars they left shaking with rage after their elaborate wind-ups. The pair...

Must read

- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you