Facebook requires you to use your legal name, but there are circumstances where this can be changed.
You may wish to do this after a change of circumstance in your personal life – after getting marred, for example. Luckily, it can be done in a few easy steps.
How do I change my name on Facebook?
You can change your name on the Facebook website or the mobile app.
On the Facebook website, follow these steps:
1. First log into Facebook.
2. Click “account” in the menu on the right-hand-side of the screen to access a drop-down menu.
3. Select “settings and Privacy” from this menu to bring up a new one.
4. Select “settings”.
5. Click on “name” to bring up three edit fields, one for each of your names: first, middle, and surname.
6. Type your names in the corresponding fields, you do not have to put in a middle name.
7. Click review change and follow the security prompt to enter your password.
8. Next click “save changes”, and your name change request has been submitted.
9. Finally, Wait up to 24 hours for Facebook to approve your name change.
There are 46 million registered Facebook users in the UK[/caption]
On the Facebook mobile app:
1. Open the Facebook app on your mobile device.
2. Log in using the account you would like to change.
3. Start in the “newsfeed” tab on the left at the bottom.
4. Tap on your profile picture on the left-hand-side of the screen below the word “Facebook”.
5. From this screen tap on “profile tools” – three horizontal dots – next to “add story”.
6. Here, tap on “view privacy shortcuts” to move to the next screen.
7. Now, tap on “update your personal information” button, under the section, “Account Security”.
8. Tap on your name, which appears at the top of this screen, to reveal three text fields, one for each of your names: first, middle and surname.
9. Enter your names and tap “review change”. You do not have to enter a middle name.
10. Follow the security prompt to enter your password and tap “save changes”.
11. Facebook take up to 24 hours to review your change.
It is easy to add a nickname to your Facebook account[/caption]
Can I add a nickname?
Yes. Facebook asks you to use your legal name for your profile, because it wants transparency and accountability. But you can add a name you usually go by.
If your nickname is a variant form of your name, such as Naz for Nazneen, then you can use this as your first name in your profile name.
Likewise, you can use your initials and your last name, if this is how you are generally known.
If your nickname is not a recognised name, but another word your friends or family use, you can add it in a special “nickname” field.
On the mobile app, in step 9 above, there is a link to “add a nickname” on the same screen where you can edit your profile name.
You will be asked to tick whether to display this nickname next to your profile name so people can see it.
On the website, there is a “add alternative name” link on the page in step 6 above, where you enter your profile names.
Again, you will need to tick whether to display your nickname with your profile name.
There are other ways to add names to your Facebook profile, for example, you can link a business page to your personal account, so everyone can connect the two.
What names are not allowed on Facebook?
Facebook’s ethos is about real people sharing their stories. Therefore it does not allow fake names.
So when you set up an account, Facebook asks you to verify that the name you are using is your real name.
If you are suspected of using a fake name, you will be asked to send identification to prove the name legally belongs to you.
Facebook asks that you do not include special characters, or unusual capitalisation or punctuation in your name.
Some names do have unusual punctuation or capitalisation, in which case, Facebook may wish to check your formal identification before accepting your name.
You can use symbols from another alphabet such as Chinese or Arabic if that is how your name is written, called language specific name, but Facebook doesn’t accept characters like & or % in your name.
You can’t add a title to your name, such as Lord or Prof, even if you have one. And your names must not be random, rude or suggestive words.
You can only have your name on your Facebook account, and only one name.
However, you can link to a spouse or partner in the ‘About’ information, and you can add a family member.
Most read in Tech
PS5 stock LIVE – Latest on consoles at EE, Game, Currys, Argos, Amazon and Tesco
Apple exposes all the creepy ways the Facebook app snoops on you
Meme claiming 'black people get superpowers on December 21' starts conspiracy
Call of Duty latest – what are the latest updates on Black Ops content drop?
Pic of 'endless sunsets' made using BEER can is 'longest-exposure image ever'
How world will look in 2050 with sex robots & 10hrs a day in virtual reality
Is there a limit to how many times I can change my name?
Yes, you can only change your name every 60 days, which is a maximum of six times a year.
That said, if you request to name change frequently, Facebook may extend the period between requests to 120 days.