THREE dogs have died in just 10 days after a suspected poisoning at a busy walking spot – involving a powerful poison made illegal back in 2006.
The owner of one of the dogs said his house feels “empty” following the death of his beloved one-year-old Border Collie, Baron.
Jakob Kopacz’s one-year-old pup Baron died after a suspected poisoning[/caption]
Nanuk died on 29 January after a walk around Totternhoe Knolls[/caption]
Baron became ill after a walk in Blow’s Down reserve, in Dunstable, Bedfordshire, last Saturday.
“When he got back Baron went to his bed and after a few hours when he stood up his back legs were weak. He dropped to the floor and he had a slightly high heart rate. His breathing was also heavy,” Jakub said.
He was rushed to an emergency vets, in Hemel Hempstead, before being moved to Royal Vets College.
Vets told the dog owner that Baron’s kidneys were affected by a substance.
It was possible it was poisoning, Jakub was told.
Baron’s condition worsened and he died of heart failure on Monday.
Jakub was given Baron as a puppy on his 18th birthday and had him for just over a year.
“He meant a lot to me. All my family were really attached to him. He was like a family member to us. He was so well loved,” Jakub said.
POISON MADE ILLEGAL IN 2006
“It’s really empty in the house now. I’m not getting much exercise because I did that with him.”
Baron’s death came just days after an English Springer Spaniel called Freddie passed away on February 8, and was believed to be linked.
And a Labrador named Nanuk died on January 29, with strychnine in his body – a powerful poison made illegal back in 2006.
Nanuk’s owner suspected the pooch consumed the poison during a walk around Totternhoe Knolls – another nature reserve in the area.
A spokesperson for Bedfordshire Police said: “We were made aware of an incident last week, in which a dog died at the end of January after ingesting a substance believed to be strychnine, and an investigation is currently ongoing. It has yet to be established if this was a deliberate act.
“Strychnine has been illegal since 2006 and you need a licence to be able to purchase it.
“We have received just one other report of a similar incident in recent months, but it was not possible to carry out tests due to cremation.
Most read in News
'HARD TO FORGET'
Man whose ex threw acid on him as he slept reveals he still has nightmares
Boris to axe tier system & 'wants to open all schools in "big bang" road map plan'
COMING OUT OF HIS SHELL
UK's randiest tortoise gets yearly fitness test for breeding season
'WAY TO FREEDOM'
Brits 'will live with Covid like flu by end of the year', Hancock vows
Tributes to man, 20, killed on e-scooter as driver, 25, charged
Serial killer Rose West, 67, gets Covid jab in prison before millions of Brits
“We would ask that dog owners take care when out with their pets and report all incidents to us, including anyone acting suspiciously, via our online reporting centre, or webchat function.
“If a crime is in progress, or you are in immediate danger, please call 999.”
Local dog walker Lindsay Stronge had set up a petition, calling for warning signs to be placed in the area where the suspected poisonings occurred.